Online Risk Management
United Schools Insurance Program (USIP)
The United Schools Insurance Program (USIP) was originally formed in 1985 under the name of the Eastern Washington School Districts Insurance Group (EWSDIG) with 34 founding school districts. The USIP is a property and liability risk and insurance pooling program for school districts with enrollments less than 3,000 students. This pool was designed to address small to medium size school district issues and provide them with a viable insurance alternative. The USIP currently insures over 150 members. A Board of Directors, elected by the membership, governs the program. The Board of Directors contracts with Clear Risk Solutions, a third party administrator instrumental in forming the program, to carry out the day-to-day administrative, claims and risk management services.
- Reinsurance Coverage: The USIP self-insures those losses that are manageable and predictable. Reinsurance coverage is purchased to protect the members against catastrophic claims.
- Aggregate Stop Loss Coverage: The USIP purchases aggregate stop loss coverage to protect the pool assets against an abnormal frequency of claims in one year. This coverage minimizes the risk of any retroactive assessments if the liability losses exceed the amount budgeted and collected from the membership.
- Risk Management: The USIP offers the broadest and most comprehensive range of risk management/loss control services in the industry. By reducing the number of claims through education of the membership, the overall insurance costs are reduced and remain stable for the membership year in and year out.
- Claims / Litigation Management: Through the USIP's administrator, claims are adjusted and handled "in-house" rather than contracting out this vital service. Aggressive third party adjusting is balanced by the need to be aware of the individual political needs of the membership. Members are included in the overall plan and are vital to litigation settlement discussions. It is the philosophy of the program to find coverage for membership claims rather than search out exclusions to avoid paying claims.
- Broad Coverage / Competitive Cost: The USIP provides the broadest and most comprehensive coverage available to school districts. However, controlling costs and providing stable rates throughout the unpredictable insurance cycles is paramount to the USIP. The rates, along with coverages, are the most competitive offered. The ultimate goal of the program is to reduce the losses through onsite education and through sound fiscal management, eliminating large insurance cost fluctuations.
Third Party Administrator
The USIP contracts with Clear Risk Solutions for day-to-day administration of the program. In addition to the United Schools Insurance Program, Clear Risk Solutions developed and serves as the pool administrator for the Washington Rural Counties Insurance Program, the Schools Insurance Association of Washington, the Cities Insurance Association of Washington, and the Non Profit Insurance Program. Clear Risk Solutions has over 20 years experience providing pool administration, claims and litigation management and risk management services.